Wednesday 14 August 2013

I was chatting to a male acquaintance the other night about the job in a bar that he recently managed to blag his way into (he is blessed, though others may think of it as cursed, with the so-called "gift of the gab") and he was saying that the typical bar man's "uniform" consists of stubble and a shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Since I am eighteen soon (far to soon for my liking) I asked him what he would consider a standard barmaid's uniform, and he said "I don't know really... tits out?"

This, whilst not particularly offensive and the typical "laddish" comment I would expect from him, got me to thinking about an issue which I find deeply unfair... a boy would never even have the option of lowering himself like that.

A boy simply does not have the option of wearing a short skirt or a low top (sometimes both) and this annoys me because it feels like at times girls are expected to wear things like that - fair enough if that is her choice and she is confident enough in her body to wear such things, but I for one am not, and I don't want to feel like I'm in the wrong for not wanting to flash my tits to the world.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment