Monday 15 April 2013

M for Movies

I thought I would list my favourite films, and try to explain just why I like them so much (in no particular order)

1. Juno
"That ain't no etch-a-sketch, this is one doodle that can't be undid homeskillet"

The title character, Juno, is 16 and pregnant, but she isn't like the girls from 16 and pregnant, she's so cool. She doesn't care about how she looks or about being one of the popular kids, and she loves old slasher movies and old rock music and has the best sense of humour ever. Also, she drives a minivan. If you haven't seen the film I won't spoil the ending but you should know that it is lovely and definitely worth a watch.

Tumblr_mcvaemj1ph1qkm72bo1_500_large

2. 500 Days of Summer
"This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story"

I love how unconventional this film is, both in the story and the production. I love how it jumps around through the 500 days, but it's really easy to follow which I think shows how well-made the film is. There is also the IKEA scene (complete with "a Chinese family in our bathroom") which makes me laugh every time. I really love Zooey Deschanel and even though she isn't very nice to Tom in the movie her overall cuteness certainly makes up for it.

Tumblr_ml8nryq1ln1rnt0c2o1_500_large

3. The Perks of being a Wallflower
"We accept the love we think we deserve"

Okay, when the book was as good as it is, there was no way they could butcher it, but they really did the book justice. I love how it shows growing up in a very real way and combats the difficult issues of childhood sexual abuse and mental illness. This film made me cry the first time I saw it, and that's saying something, I didn't even cry when I watched Marley and Me.

64461_605073546171361_872268945_n_large

4. Cemetery Junction
"Throw your heart out in front of you and run ahead to catch it"

This film really scared me, not because of gore or bumps in the night, but because it faces the issue of getting out of your home town and making something of yourself, not being stuck in the same job for fifty years - it's something I want to achieve myself but getting there is a difficult and scary process! It's the first British film on the list, which I think is a redeeming factor in itself.

600full-cemetery-junction-screenshot_large

5. Mean Girls
"The limit does not exist"

To any of you who say "that's just a crappy teen chick-flick" I say have you seen this movie? It's the perfect teen movie, it faces cliques (to anyone who might be reading this from across the pond, are high schools really like that?) It's got so many quotes and makes hilarious memes. That film is nine years old, which is a pretty scary thought.

Tumblr_m3kgpmraua1qi23vmo1_500_large

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2
"Always"

The second British film in the list, and the last film on the list. Everything is explained in the final chapter of the franchise  everything. And that's what I love, how JK Rowling knew where she was going right from the start and pulled it all together so magnificently. Perfection, pure perfection.

F9a12bc92317494732c811955a41fed2_large

No comments:

Post a Comment